Friday, March 11, 2011

In praise of… the BBC



Britain once led the world (albeit by raping and pillaging jonny foreigner), but things have changed. Our only empire now is a virtual, media one. Brittainia now rules, at best, the airwaves.

These days the only place the sun never sets is the Beckham’s Los Angeles villa. Fortunately, Britain’s place in the world still goes beyond a couple of beautiful if slightly aging entertainers. One grand old institution of which the country should be rightly proud is the British Broadcasting Corporation - the brilliant, believeable, consistent BBC.

When I arrived in my rural Cambodian village I knew there would be no newspapers, television or internet café. Unphased, I banked on hearing the incomparable World Service on my neat Roberts radio, purchased specifically for the task.

I was disappointed - in my remote (and clearly strategically unimportant) village, getting even the faintest reception involves holding the ariel in a style and with a stillness only a meditating monk could sustain.

This was a blow: in a previous placement the World Service was a trusty companion, and I crave my daily news fix. I may even have tuned in to Test Match Special to witness the rare moment of England retaining the Ashes (though I gather the crucial winning moments were interrupted for that most British of broadcasts, The Shipping Forecast!).

I confess I even tried tuning to Voice of America, and was secretly relieved I couldn’t get that either.

Fortunately the BBC is not just on radios anymore! Whenever I get to an internet connection, my priority is to download radio podcasts. There are telly ones too, but strangely they haven't sorted the licensing for overseas access. This is my only criticism of the beeb - in such hard economic times, surely this is a colossal missed revenue stream.

But this must not detract from the podcasts - what an absolute joy! The quality of these programmes is unsurpassed, and (rightly or wrongly, and in a very un-English way) make me just a little proud to be British.

My menu starts with highlights from the Today programme, which I trust to deliver stories accurately, prioritise news sensibly, and rough-up politicians enjoyably. Kirsty Young’s dulcet tones alone attract me to Desert Island Discs, but I also love the choice of music, the range of interviewees, and the fascinating insights she uncovers. Perhaps I also feel a kinship with the guests, castaway as I am in this small remote village. Thinking Aloud you may not know – it’s new to me, themed around recent research, and even convinced me there may be a use for academics after all.

But the jewel in the crown is From Our Own Correspondent. What an absolute gem! Usually news journalists, here BBC correspondents across the world are allowed more time - about 3 minutes rather than the usual sub-minute news item. They also enjoy greater range, talking about anything, not just news - some of the most engaging pieces are simple insights into life in other countries. Crucially, personal perspectives are positively encouraged, and many are deeply moving. Journalists have a bad name, so I urge you to witness that the BBC’s foreign correspondents are highly talented writers and broadcasters.

Perhaps the greatest compliment is that when disaster struck - in this case, when I first heard rumours of a tragic bridge stampede in Phnom Penh - my instinct was to turn to the BBC. Interestingly this was on the web, probably the main media for news now, and http://www.bbc.co.uk/ is great. Basically, I trusted them more than anyone to tell me what was going on. Some regard the BBC as a state-controlled mouthpiece, but I believe they have as much integrity and objectivity as any broadcaster, and I always go to them first.

I accept that Britain left various legacies throughout the world, not always positive. But one thing for which we can continue to be extremely proud is the incomparable BBC.

1 comment:

  1. From Paul V's Facebook friend:
    God Bless Radio 4! Two hour car journey passed quickly via the wonders of Aircrash investigations, Modern media access for the blind, the shortage of Black blood donors and finally 2 Asbergers sufferers talk candidly about their condition... Fabulous - BBC please don't bugger radio 4 up!

    ReplyDelete